- July 12, 2018
- By Horton's Auto
- In News
This is an important time of year to keep your car clean and to have routine maintenance done. Summer is a very busy time for everyone and a busy time for your car. Excessive heat can be a drain on many of the components of your car. If you are planning a vacation where you will be driving your car, don’t wait until the last minute to have your service facility check the car for your trip. Summer is the busiest time for repair facilities as well and the heat that takes a toll on your car, can also take a toll on the technicians that work on your car. Remember, proper car care and maintenance can prevent a breakdown.
Summer Car Care tips:
- If you have not visited your service facility in the last six months, it is time for a visit. Ask for a safety check. A well maintained car also gets better gas mileage.
- Have the oil changed. Regular oil changes can double the life of your car.
- Check your tires. Summer heat can affect the performance of your tires. Ask your service facility to let you know how much tread life you have left on the tires. An extremely worn tire can make stopping difficult. Check the tire pressures so that you get the best wear for your tires and better gas mileage.
Summer Car Care tips:
- If you haven’t been to your local auto repair facility within a half a year, it’s about time for a visit. Request a safety check. A properly maintained car also gets better fuel economy.
- Get the oil changed. Regular oil changes can double the lifetime of your vehicle.
- Look at your tires. Summer heat can impact the performance of the tires. Ask your mechanic to let you know the amount of tread you have left. A very worn tire will make stopping difficult. Look at the tire pressures in order to obtain the best wear on your tires and far better gas mileage.
- Don’t run the gas down to empty. You place yourself in a risky situation that you might run out of gas while driving. Imagine getting stuck on the highway, simply because you ran out of gas. You could cause additional problems to the fuel system which may be very expensive.
- Don’t wait to have a noise checked. When you hear an unusual noise get it checked. Small problems turn into really big expensive problems quickly.
- Come to a complete stop. While you are backing away from a parking spot and put your vehicle in drive while it’s still rolling, you do damage to the transmission. Be sure the car is stopped before changing gears.
- Have your air conditioning system checked. A marginally operating air conditioner is very likely to fail during the hot summer season.
- A dirty, smeared windshield can be quite a hazard. Replace worn wiper blades and refill windshield washer solvent.
- The pollen that may be covering your vehicle may also be circulated via your vents. Change the air filter and have all of the other filters checked or replaced.
- The highest amount of breakdowns that occur during summer travel is caused by overheating. Examine the level and condition of the coolant. Make sure you never take off the radiator cap till the engine is thoroughly cooled.
Finally, give your vehicle an excellent cleaning. Remove all of the trash and vacuum and wash it. It simply feels good driving around in a very clean car.
To have your vehicle checked for safety this summer, bring it in to Horton’s Auto Repair at 5026 E Main St. in Mesa AZ, or call to schedule an appointment at 480-924-2275. Have a Great Summer!